10 January 2006

hurricane katrina hits home--for me

Here I sit in complete comfort while there are people within a half-mile of where I am sitting who lost their home in the hurricane. I don’t just mean that they lost their roof or something like that, I mean that all they have left is a little bit of rubble where their home used to be. I got a little taste of the goodness that this disaster has brought out in people all over the place. I saw a city of tents of volunteers from all over the country. I met people who are sacrificing their time giving of themselves to help out the victims of the storm. I am in awe of people like “Sarge” from Oregon who is away from his family and living off his savings to work down here in Mississippi as a volunteer. I gave 12 hours of my time this past Saturday helping a group called Hands On USA. I got so worked up thinking about my experience that I had to stop typing and make a donation. I plan to go back and help more during the rest of the month I will be spending in Mississippi.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home